Tuesday, June 8, 2010

autumns 1st sleepover


I never thought I'd be one of "those mothers". You know the kind,the over protective nervous Nellie's. The one who watches until her child is safely behind the fence at school.The one who insists on being in the front yard when she's riding her bike with neighbor friends. The one who has to get to know her friends and her friends parents.The one who stays at birthday party's even though the other moms leave.The one who never lets her go to the bathroom alone, ect,ect...
But I AM TOTALLY one of THOSE mothers.

Annoyingly Overprotective.
If I could lock her in a castle like Rapunzel, I would.

Last month Autumn went to her first sleepover. I was very hesitant on letting her go. In fact, I said no way she could go... until I had a change of heart at the last minute. The thought of her at a friends house,without me, where anything and everything can go wrong, makes my stomach turn. But why? When I was her age I was a seasoned sleepover veteran. I went to slumber parties and had them just as often. Nothing ever happened.
So maybe I've seen to many Oprah's or read too many Dr. Dobson books.
Joe said "why can't she go?"
I said"you haven't read that Dobson book I gave you did you"?
Dr Dobson address's the fact that the world today is far different than even the one that I grew up in, and he doesn't recommend slumber parties at any age. But come on..isn't that a little extreme? No, I think I agree with him.


The only reason I ended up letting her go is because I have gotten to know the mother of the girl.
But is doesn't change the fact that Saturday night while, autumn was over the moon excited and painting her toes and braiding hair,I was home worried sick.My mind going over all kinds of scenarios.I don't trust many people with my kids.We don't even have a babysitter besides my mom.Because there are some chances I'm just not willing to take.

But now, Autumn's getting bigger and I need to loosen the apron strings. I have to trust that God is going to take care of her, as long as I'm making good choices too.

So I took a chance. I let her go.
and she was fine, of course, had a wonderful time,and can't wait for the next one.
But we'll just see about that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally right there with you, Amber. I have the sleepovers because I know very few people well enough to trust them with my kids' safety and their innocence. It is a very different world now than it was for us.

    ReplyDelete

Kissed by the McKissick's

Followers